APPLICATION DEADLINE IS DECEMBER 5, 2011
NOTE: Film Independent is offering the special member rate of $45 to LPB funded producers. Producers can apply at the member rate online and indicate they are an LPB Funded producer in the application.
Designed to help filmmakers who are currently in post-production on their feature-length documentary films, the Documentary Lab is an intensive seven-week program running in Los Angeles in March and April. The Lab’s focus is twofold: (1) provide creative feedback and story notes to the selected filmmakers; and (2) help filmmakers strategize the completion, distribution, and marketing of their film.
Additionally the program serves to advance the careers of the Lab Fellows by introducing them to film professionals who can advise them on both the craft and business of documentary filmmaking. Lab Fellows have several guest-speaker sessions with established documentary filmmakers – directors, producers, and editors – and other industry professionals.
DOCUMENTARY LAB FELLOWS RECEIVE:
- A one-year membership with Film Independent
- A pass to the Los Angeles Film Festival (City Pass)
- Inclusion in the FIND Talent Guide
- Year-round support from Film Independent
HOW TO APPLY
To be eligible, you must be the director of a feature-length or hour-long documentary film in post-production. Directing and producing teams are welcome to apply together. Our preference is for projects in the rough-cut stage but we may consider exceptional projects earlier in the post-production process. Projects that have not completed the majority of principal photography and do not have any footage assembled are not eligible to apply. Applicants must submit the online application, which includes:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the Documentary Lab
- Logline and short synopsis
- Documentary treatment including detailed summary, character descriptions, and director’s vision
- Bios of key crew attached
- Project status and history
- Budget Information and Finance Plan
- Rough-cut or scene assembly of the submitted project (DVD or online link)
- Non-refundable application fee ($45 Film Independent Member; $65 Non-member)
- Submitted DVD materials will not be returned.
WHAT SELECTION CRITERIA ARE USED IN EVALUATING DOCUMENTARY LAB SUBMISSIONS?
We are looking for talented filmmakers who have feature length documentary projects that are compelling, original, and demonstrate a filmmaker’s uniqueness of vision. We are open to first-time directors as well as filmmakers who previously directed shorts and features.
WHAT DOES IT COST TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PROGRAM?
Aside from the application fee, there is no tuition to attend Film Independent’s Artist Development Programs.
Film Independent offers the Filmmaker Labs to support emerging writers, directors, and producers in the development of their craft as well as their projects. We ask that once completed, films that have been supported by the Labs include the end credit “Developed with the help of the Film Independent Filmmaker Labs” with the Film Independent logo.
For more information, please contact Filmmaker Labs Manager, Jennifer Kushner, at 310.432.1275 orJKushner@filmindependent.org.
Got questions? We’ve got answers. Click here for Filmmaker Labs FAQs.